Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas shopping fail

weheartit.com
I had a single goal for today: knock out as much of my in-person Christmas shopping as I possibly could. I ate my Christmas donuts, drank my gingerbread coffee, took a shower and headed out to conquer my shopping list.

Within five minutes in the first store, I was reminded why I hate Christmas shopping oh-so-much: all that hustle and bustle that holiday shopping brings. For some, it's fun. For me, it's torture. It's people running you over with their shopping carts; people invading your personal space because they're so focused on their own shopping agenda, they don't notice you standing there; people hovering because you're in their way...even though you were standing there first; small children pushing past you, even if you're tucked out of the way.

This consumerism-on-steroids time of year voids people of any consideration for others (and isn't consideration for others what this whole holiday season is about?), and it drives me insane. How hard it is to say excuse me if I'm in your way or you bump in to me as you pass by?

After little success finding what was on my list, I've decided my new shopping strategies:

avoid box stores like the plague (I swear that checker at Target is a future serial killer...)
shop at more local stores (unique gifts are better anyway)
shop online (my Amazon cart is filled to the brim right now)

And that concludes this Grinchy holiday moment. I hope your shopping is going better than mine.

(On the upside...I finished decorating for Christmas today, and I'm actually really, really happy with how my little tree came out. Pictures soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment