![]() |
I'm a Texan, born and bred. Growing up in the only state that was once its own country and is the largest state in the continental US has certain...effects on a person.
Yes, that infamous Texas ego. I might have been raised by two Yanks, but I'm proud to be a Texan and can't imagine being raised in another state. I like my Shiner ice cold, my freeways 12 lanes wide (so I don't die) and enjoy keeping Austin weird when I visit.
Then I got this crazy idea to move to Oklahoma for school. I walked in with my Texas pride and those Okies humbled me. I kind of fell in love with their state and while I rolled my eyes a lot and thought they made big deals out of nothing, making the decision to come back to the TX was not an easy one.
Luckily, I get to carry a little piece of Oklahoma with my every day. On my last birthday in Tulsa, Katie gave me an Oklahoma charm from James Avery. She had an identical one I'd been eying for...forever. It went on immediately, and I wore it proudly my last two months in the state. She told me when she bought it she was torn: she wanted to get me the Texas one as well but thought Oklahoma was more deserving given the circumstances.
I agreed.
And then I put the Texas charm on my Christmas wish list and made sure to drop plenty of hints. Santa Claus listened, and on Christmas morning I got what I consider to be my matching charm.
I wear the charms on a necklace often - mostly when I'm out at a show because I feel like in some way it identifies me - and when I do, I feel like I'm carrying a little piece of myself on a chain around my neck. Having this tiny sterling silver Oklahoma makes me feel like I didn't lose it completely, but the Texas reminds me who I am first and foremost.
Both remind me of who I've been, who I became and who I am now. I like having that tangible reminder.

I love you!
ReplyDelete