I started blogging on OpenDiary.com when I was a junior in high school. Up to this point, I kept journals on and off, and I was in the midst of learning journalistic style so free-form writing online was a new, exciting concept for me. (Obviously still is.)
The thing I most enjoyed was discovered new people who led lives so very different from my own. I looked forward to reading about their latest life details, no matter how boring. When I first started blogging, I read a girl who was a sophomore in college and wrote about her obsession with soap operas. Later, I followed a girl heavily into the London goth scene. There was the girl who I swore was living out novels by my favorite author and then the girl who wrote poetic posts and poems and took beautiful photos to illustrate how not-boring Ohio could be.
And I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but some of these people I've read I remember better than people who have passed through my life.
It was on OpenDiary that I met two girls who changed my life with their love of fiction: Ivy and Violet, better known as Melanie and Avery. They both introduced me to who would quickly become one of my favorite authors, Miss Francesca Lia Block. To them I am Allie and Claire, respectively. Our nicknames all come from characters in FLB books each pair best identifies with.
I may have also become friends with these two girls because at that point in time, we all had a favorite band in common as well...
Through the years, I have kept up with these girls in their various blogging adventures. We've moved from site to site (OpenDiary to Xanga, to LiveJournal to all three being on separate sites now...) as we've shared our lives through the written word. Melanie and I met in person and enjoyed living out our Lady Ivory/Alabaster Duchess roles at a music and arts festival in Tulsa in May 2005. We've also shared lots of fiction we've written with each other, namely during November's NaNoWriMo. (National Novel Writing Month.)
I've participated but never completed the 50,000 words in 30 days challenge. Melanie is participating this year...and has been trying to guilt me into participating as well. And its worked. Kind of.
I've participated but never completed the 50,000 words in 30 days challenge. Melanie is participating this year...and has been trying to guilt me into participating as well. And its worked. Kind of.
In her most recent blog post, she mentioned giving NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posing Month, which is every month - a try instead of NaNoWriMo. And without the daunting word count, I think that's something I can handle.
So consider this me throwing my hat in the ring. Prompt by prompt, I will work my way through November and hopefully along the way, I'll entertain you with my love of the written word.

This makes me really happy! It was actually finding the NaBloPoMo site that made me decide to give Nano a try this year. I figure... why not? And I'm glad you're going to write it and write for yourself. I miss those old days, Allie.
ReplyDelete<3
I miss them too!
ReplyDelete