![]() |
| weheartit.com |
- Only 10 songs. No more, no less.
- Each song MUST have been released in 2011.
- Each song must be from a different artist.
No problem! I thought. This will be easy and fun.
Apparently I'm a year behind on music because everything I kept wanting to pick was a 2010 recording. (Thanks, Amazon, for verification...) I went as far as asking if I could choose a song that was recorded in 1967 but wasn't released until 2011 (a track off SMiLE by the Beach Boys), but in the end I came up with my list and I'm pretty happy with it.
My top 10 songs of 2011 (alphabetical by artist...):
"Rumor Has It" by Adele
Oh, Adele...the woman who tortured me in 2011. First you're not coming to Houston. Then you are. Then I miss tickets going on sale and find it's sold out. Then more tickets go on sale and I get one. Then you postpone your tour. Then you cancel completely. Rumor has it you're coming, indeed. All that aside, while I adore "Rolling in the Deep" and "Set Fire to the Rain" as much as the next heartbroken girl, "Rumor Has It" was the tune off 21 I couldn't get out of my head.
Oh, Adele...the woman who tortured me in 2011. First you're not coming to Houston. Then you are. Then I miss tickets going on sale and find it's sold out. Then more tickets go on sale and I get one. Then you postpone your tour. Then you cancel completely. Rumor has it you're coming, indeed. All that aside, while I adore "Rolling in the Deep" and "Set Fire to the Rain" as much as the next heartbroken girl, "Rumor Has It" was the tune off 21 I couldn't get out of my head.
"Holocene" by Bon Iver
It's just so damn beautiful. The soft guitar and echo of falsetto voices are what drew me into the music in the first place - if ever there were a perfect Bon Iver song, this would be it. (With "Re: Stacks" running a very close second.)
It's just so damn beautiful. The soft guitar and echo of falsetto voices are what drew me into the music in the first place - if ever there were a perfect Bon Iver song, this would be it. (With "Re: Stacks" running a very close second.)
"Barton Hollow" by The Civil Wars
Yes, I fell down the Americana rabbit hole this year. There is something indescribable about this song that draws me in and makes me long to live in Oklahoma again. So simple. So bluesy. So perfect.
Yes, I fell down the Americana rabbit hole this year. There is something indescribable about this song that draws me in and makes me long to live in Oklahoma again. So simple. So bluesy. So perfect.
"This is Why We Fight" by The Decemberists
Addictive bass line? Check.
Favorite anthem song of 2011? Check.
Addictive bass line? Check.
Favorite anthem song of 2011? Check.
"Better Love" by Eisley
It was hard to pick one Eisley song because I loved everything on The Valley so much...but "Better Love" was the song I kept going back to over and over. Easily the most rocked-out Eisley song to date, I just can't get enough of Sherri's voice. Plus I adore the disjointed drumming in the bridge.
"MoneyGrabber" by Fitz & the Tantrums
The song blared in my car while driving the most number of times this year? "MoneyGrabber." How can you not love a song with a bitingly-sung line like "I don't think twice for the price of a cheap time whore"?
The song blared in my car while driving the most number of times this year? "MoneyGrabber." How can you not love a song with a bitingly-sung line like "I don't think twice for the price of a cheap time whore"?
"Shake it Out" by Florence + the Machine
I've always been a fan of artists who can write beautifully upbeat songs with horribly dark lyrics...which means in general, I'm in love with Florence. Lyrically, this is my favorite song on her new album.
I've always been a fan of artists who can write beautifully upbeat songs with horribly dark lyrics...which means in general, I'm in love with Florence. Lyrically, this is my favorite song on her new album.
"A Heavy Abacus" by the Joy Formidable
I accidentally discovered the Joy Formidable during SXSW this year and fell in love with their sound - heavy guitars paired with dreamy vocals. I kept coming back to this song over and over all year on The Big Roar.
I accidentally discovered the Joy Formidable during SXSW this year and fell in love with their sound - heavy guitars paired with dreamy vocals. I kept coming back to this song over and over all year on The Big Roar.
"You, Me, and the Boatman" by Quiet Company
Quiet Company also gets my vote for favorite band of 2011. I think I've played this song for everyone I know at least 1,000 times. Top to bottom, it's a fantastic tune you can't help but sing along and dance to every single time you hear it (which I do).
"Miranda" by Surfer Blood
It's not every day I come across a song named after me. Enough said.
It's not every day I come across a song named after me. Enough said.
What are your favorite tunes of 2011?

No comments:
Post a Comment