Thursday, July 7, 2011

weheartit.com
Do you consider yourself a strong swimmer?

(Note: too much coffee and over-thinking went into this post.)

This post could very easily be one word: no.

In the metaphorical sense, no I don't think I'm a strong swimmer, and I never have been. I'm too indecisive. It takes me forever to make a decision and when I do, I worry it wasn't the best decision to make. I'm slowly learning to let go and just live. I'm way too hard on myself for decisions I made three years ago, still. This is the time in my life when it's okay to make mistakes, to make changes and figure it all out. As long as I reach some stability and eventually stay there, it's okay.

Because I'm a single twenty-something, I feel like I need to be a strong swimmer so I can survive. I need to be able to take care of and support myself financially because it's not the 50s and a man isn't going to do it for me. Not that I was the girl who went to college to get her MRS degree. Far from it. I went in with ambition and excitement about where journalism would take me, and most days lately I feel like that's all been stamped out of me.

And it scares me.

No one else is going to take care of me. I'm all I have - and that's cool, but...when you feel like you don't know what you're doing and if you're living life the way you're supposed to, it gets overwhelming. I worry about financial stability. I worry about my resume making me look unstable because the longest I've been somewhere in my four years out of college is a year and a half. I worry about re-experiencing the complete and utter sense of failure in being let go from a job. I worry about never being good enough to truly make a career out of writing. 

I worry a lot and it makes me feel like I'm drowning in life. I'm just barely getting to a place where I feel mostly content with everything - and now I worry about being too complacent, not going out and getting what I want. I don't want to be the type of person who is content to just live in routine. I want to constantly be looking forward, because I feel like as long as I still have that ambition, it means I can't become complacent.

Right?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

But all of it makes me feel like a weak swimmer and like I will never be strong enough to confidently swim through my life. And I don't know how to change it.

(Sorry to be all emo kid on this. I've been in a very blah sort of mood all week and it's starting to show.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm a floater. I used to be a swimmer, maybe not a strong one but one who was swimming for something. and now I feel like... I'm just floating. I also feel like I've lost all I went to school for, that knowledge is lost the person is going and here I am splashing around in the deep end.

    It'll get better. Just watch Finding Nemo and remember what Dory says... just keep swimming. You can't get stronger if you don't start moving your body. Even if it's not in the "right" direction.

    And also, you are right. Don't become complacent. Instead, if you feel like you're getting that way, change things. Decide to write blog posts. Join a class, meet new people. I can give you a million more ideas if you want. Maybe I will, in a blog post some time soon.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floating, yes. Exactly. It scares me...

    Thanks for always 'getting it' Ives. <3

    ReplyDelete