![]() |
| weheartit.com |
It's never been one of my favorite holidays - even when I was in elementary school and everyone was obligated to give the entire class Valentine's, I disliked it because I felt like my cool factor solely depended on this one day. And I was definitely never a cool kid. I would carefully pick out the message I wanted to send to each of my classmates, but I felt like no one ever returned the favor.
It wasn't until three or four years ago I started to enjoy this holiday. You know why?
Because I was completely alone.
Seriously, some of my favorite Valentine's Days have been spent completely alone.
Around 2007, I got into the habit of ordering out to places I had been meaning to try or already loved and renting movies I'd been dying to see. Then I would hole up in my apartment and enjoy a delicious dinner alone while watching movies.
And to me, nothing could be more perfect than this.
In 2007, it was Gorgonzola and chicken pasta and "Marie Antoinette." (Movie was lackluster, but food was terrific.) In 2008 after a long deadline night, I ordered pizza, drank wine and watched TV I'd DVRed until well past midnight. In 2009, after standing on my feet for eight-plus hours, trying not to throw up from my migraine as I dipped what felt like a million chocolate-covered strawberries, it was spinach and goat cheese pizza and "Wristcutters." (Along with Bakerella cake balls the next day that would have been better with homemade frosting.) Last year, it was going to see "Valentine's Day" with my parents (I adore Gary Marshall films, no matter how cheesy) and having a fantastic dinner.
This year? Way too much wine plus champagne and in a moment I shall climb into bed and watch more "Lipstick Jungle."
I have been single for what feels like eons. And I could choose to mope and be bitter and wear all black on Valentine's Day to express how much I disagree with a greeting card holiday.
But instead, I'd rather love on myself, enjoy my evening and get something out of it because I firmly believe anything and everything is what you make of it.
So why not make the best of it?

This is a great post, I admire your ability to spend time with yourself alone. I spend a lot of my time alone, too. But often I feel like it's less fun... I don' tknow why. It's not like I'm not fun. Anyway, I'm happy to see a post about Valentine's Day that isn't moping about how it sucks, or talking about how great it is to be in love, or how commercialized the holiday it is. Kudos <3
ReplyDeleteI'm my favorite person to hang out with! :)
ReplyDelete